Which Ecommerce Platform Is Best for SEO in 2023?
Find the best platform to host your e-commerce business on in 2023.
Find the perfect match for your business and SEO strategy, ensuring your online store gains visibility, traffic, and ultimately, sales.
Shopify stands out as an immensely popular ecommerce platform, boasting robust SEO services. It’s notably user-friendly, making it an ideal choice for those new to web development. Shopify offers a reasonably priced basic plan and seamless integration with Google Analytics, enabling you to elevate your SEO strategies. Additionally, it offers a wide range of plugins for enhanced SEO, including customer ratings, social sharing buttons, and tools like YOAST SEO. You can also effortlessly create a blog for your store and leverage multiple sales channels like Instagram Shopping and Facebook Shopping.
- User-friendliness is a highlight.
- Integration with Google Analytics is seamless.
- Excellent support for integrating SEO blogs.
- A vast plugin library enhances store functionality.
- Limited customization of the Robots.txt file.
- Rigid URL hierarchy with limited editing options for search engine optimization.
WooCommerce is a cost-effective option suitable for businesses of all sizes. Notably, it functions as a WordPress plugin, so familiarity with WordPress is beneficial. This extensive plugin provides substantial control and flexibility for implementing SEO strategies. The site design and pages are inherently SEO-friendly, and integration with plugins like YOAST SEO streamlines on-page content optimization. You can easily modify META tags and URLs, and WooCommerce offers a decent blogging tool to support SEO content marketing strategies. A free version with limitations is available, and the premium subscription is reasonably priced.
- Highly customizable stores.
- A vast plugin library for added functionality.
- Offers various SEO-ready features like 301 redirects and URL customization.
- Steeper learning curve for WordPress novices.
- Plugin discovery and installation can be time-consuming.
BigCommerce excels in providing an exceptional customer experience, offering features that make product navigation easy. It is a standalone platform that doesn’t require WordPress and offers plans suitable for businesses of various sizes. BigCommerce features an integrated SEO tool, eliminating the need for numerous separate tools for basic SEO improvements. Additionally, it provides access to a wide array of third-party plugins. Optimizing web and product pages is straightforward, and the interface is relatively user-friendly.
- Flexible store feature options.
- Offers various SEO-friendly features.
- Provides an excellent shopping experience for customers.
- Slower page loading times have been reported.
- Costs can escalate when adding extra features.
Squarespace is an excellent choice for beginners and smaller businesses, akin to Shopify, thanks to its graphical interface and user-friendly tools. While its builder may appear basic, it excels in social media integration, which can enhance SEO. It also supports the use of the YOAST SEO plugin for on-page content optimization. Squarespace is great for sleek and stylish website design, creating visually appealing and mobile-responsive online stores that align with Google’s preferences. Additionally, it offers the option to add an optimized blog to your Squarespace online store.
- Seamless integration of SEO blogs.
- Outstanding mobile-responsive design.
- Strong support with an extensive developer and business community.
- User interface can be occasionally frustrating.
- Less suitable for larger websites or enterprise-level businesses.
Magento is a robust platform for medium to large businesses, similar to WooCommerce, due to its extensive customization capabilities and advanced tools. While its interface may seem complex, it excels in scalability and integration options, enhancing SEO and overall functionality. Magento also supports the use of advanced SEO extensions for on-page content optimization. It stands out in its ability to create sophisticated and mobile-responsive online stores that are in line with Google’s guidelines. Additionally, Magento offers the flexibility to integrate a fully optimized blog with your online store.
- Advanced customization and scalability for growing businesses.
- Superior mobile-responsive design.
- Strong community support with a wealth of developer resources (easy to find experts!)
- The interface can be overwhelming for beginners.
- More suitable for businesses with technical expertise or larger budgets.
TL;DR? Don't worry, here are the key points.
Search Engine Optimization, is crucial in ecommerce because it helps your online store rank higher in search engine results. This increased visibility drives organic traffic to your website, boosts sales, and enhances your brand’s online presence.
Shopify is an excellent choice for beginners. It offers user-friendly SEO tools, integrates easily with Google Analytics, and provides plugins like YOAST SEO to help improve your store’s SEO performance.
Using different CMS systems does impact the efficacy of SEO efforts although it will more likely depend on the competency of your SEO consultant. Different CMSs offer various tools, features, and capabilities, so it’s essential to select a CMS that aligns with your SEO goals and ensures you follow best practices for optimization.
Don’t find you answers? Contact us
Any questions? Don't hesitate to reach out and say Hi!
If you have a particular query around SEM or want to grow your business through Search Engine Marketing, why not hop on a no-obligation Discovery Call to see what types of results you can bring your business.